Town under the town
The contemporary archbishop’s cellar system is one of the 7 Architectural Wonders of Hungary.
After the Turkish occupation, Bishop György Fenessy, returning to Eger in 1687, no longer wanted to live in the castle. The bishopric of the two building sites purchased in the civil city and the tufa required for the palace building were produced from the palace of the newly built palace. Thus, on the one hand, the palace was built and on the other hand the huge cellar system where the tithes of the vineyards from the vineyards from Hatvan to Munkács were stored and the ecclesiastical tax was stored. In good years it was 11 to 12 million liters of wine annually. The cellar system stretched from the Hatvani gate to the gate of Rác, nearly four kilometers long. The most beautiful part of the cellar is the Column Hall, where 7 x 7 cellar branches are embedded like a chessboard.
The tour is lasting approx. 45 minutes.